"Learning a Second Language"




 

Learning a Second Language!



 There are many reasons why it is an excellent idea to learn a second language. For example, bilingualism improves listening skills, as the brain works harder to distinguish between different types of sounds and linguistic rhythms. Such duality reminds me of my youth living in Mexico City when I met an Italian lady who had just immigrated to my neighborhood and offered Italian classes. 


I loved the language, especially since my only exposure to Italian was through the opera recordings that I listened in the mornings with my father and some Italian movies with Spanish subtitles that my mother saw on television from time to time. I had grown up with only one language, however I had a good memory, so taking lessons helped my cognitive abilities. When one knows more than language the brain is constantly choosing the language in which to express yourself.


 Sadly, I ended my Italian classes after a while without ever practicing with anyone except my teacher. In my twenties I began to study English, as my motivation was to travel and learn about other cultures to which I could relate.


 Never did I imagine immigrating to California and making it my home. Having learned English helped me to better adapt to American society and have confidence in my new environment. Additionally, the process made me cherish my mother tongue even more, which I have had the privilege to teach for more than 33 years. Entering the world of languages can only be profitable. You just have to put in constant and concerted effort. Spanish Today can help you navigate the beautiful paths of speaking another language. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

''The Power of Puppets in Education''

"Día De Los Muertos, a millenary tradition for Mexicans"

''Spanish and Art''